32: WorkUp one level
Work, April 1997
- Introduction: Work or Die
Annalee Newitz, Kim Nicolini, Steven Rubio
Although we spend most of our time working, there is a strong taboo against open discussions of problems we have at work.
- Bad Shorts: Heaven's Gate
Charlie Bertsch, Joel Schalit
Short articles by regular Bad Subjects authors.
- Reporting Rape vs. a Woman's Right to Speak: I Won't Get Fooled Again
First I was raped by a man; then I was raped by the system; some people get raped by the press; but I continue to be raped by a social structure that insists that my rape is their property. My rape is my property and I'm taking it back.
- The Personal is Capital: Autobiographical Work and Self-Promotion
Freya Johnson, Annalee Newitz
Sharing territory with the rags-to-riches ideal, the U.S. victim story is usually told from the perspective of an oppressed person who makes good.
- In Defense of Fucking Off
Who knows how many potential Jeffersons and Thoreaus are hiding out there, buried in their work? How many Debords, how many Ehrenreichs, how many Lennons?
- Work Without a Face
How many times have you had a frustrating experience with a person on the phone who is there to "serve you"? I find myself dealing with this kind of situation numerous times each month, not for my work but for my "needs."
- Escape From the Flatlands
- Meaningful work has been difficult for me to achieve. I've had to untangle my own mind from yards of useless myth and bias, and then move towards those things which I can find some hope in.
- Caretaking the Echo Pond: The Practice of Art in the Fin-de-Siecle Academy
Mark Van Proyen
Who will be left to sing the Internationale as the New Globalism concludes its current process of post-ideological economic consolidation?
- Working Cyberspace
If we envision cyberspace as a site of more democratic forms of communication and resistance, we begin to imagine its transformative potential.
- Visa, Not Welfare
In America, instead of unions and a civilized welfare state, we have VISA cards and home equity loans.
- What People Do
- Interviews with the workers who make Bad Subjects possible.