38: Men, Women, and Everyone ElseUp one level
May 1998: In this issue, we take the idea of gender and fuck with it.
- Introduction: Bad Gender
- In this issue, we take the idea of gender and fuck with it.
- Strapped Down: Chinese Women and the Logic of American Feminism
American women -- disadvantaged residents of one of the poorest, most troubled cities in the nation -- had a strong sense that their own position, compared to the abject victimized status of "Chinese women."
- Heterosexual Love
If recent Hollywood heterosexuals are sacrificing a wish to make everyone straight, they are only doing it because they have a chance to absorb everyone into conservative family-driven communities.
- Pornography as Sacred Language, Or Why No One Gives Up Sex for Lent
Sexual meaning, empty as it may seem, has clawed into the iron cage and taken the place that religious meaning left behind.
- Matthew Barney's Blarney: Sartoriasis and Self-Spectacle in Contemporary Art
Mark Van Proyen
Matthew Barney's work has always been earmarked by an obsession with the excruciating ambivalence of half-way points between semioticized hieroglyphs and actual beings.
- Outside In: The Failings of Alternative Communities
I've always been "different," been one of those people that never quite fits in and is therefore labeled as "weird."
- Virtual Missing Children
Mailbox Values (previously ADVO) has been sending out virtual images of missing children to suburban residences about once a week for a decade.
- Getting Personal With the President and Other People
Presidential biographies take up a sizable space in the U.S. History section at commercial bookstores, and stories about the presidents appear regularly on television documentaries.