77: Dead Heads of State/Dead PresidentsUp one level
- Dead Heads of State/Dead Presidents: Symbolic Death, Social Death & Bone-Rotting Death
- The Editors' introduction to this morbid issue.
- The Legacy of George W. Bush: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Monti Narayan Datta
Even before he became president, George W. Bush and his neoconservative vanguard espoused grand, unilateralist ambitions for American foreign policy.
- Toppling Iran: a Precusor to Latin America
In order to look at the U.S.’s “great emphasis” and “support” for democracies around the world, one needs to examine the past; yet the past often remains shadowed in archives and libraries and is not known to the majority of society today.
- Menaced by El Norte: Fighters Against US Imperialism
- Instructive collages by Aaron Smith and Devin Razavi-Shearer, and posters by Armando Somoza.
- Eulogizing "America": Bush, Reagan and State Terror
The cowboy image of Reagan and Bush gives comfort to white folks that cling to a romanticized patriarchal, racist and imperialist "American" past, when 'civilized' men 'protected' their women by keeping them domesticated and conquering 'savages' as they expanded the borders of the 'homeland'.
- Ronald Ray-Guns
I wasn't dispassionate about the man while he was alive and compos mentis. And quite frankly, I'm finding the insistence that I treat his memory with dignity almost as oppressive as the news media that's following its own dictum.
- Resisting Reaganism: a 1980s Folio
An artist's folio of images of Reagan and the Reagan era.
- Where's the Rest of Him?
The saccharine remembrances that filled the media in the wake of his passing have carefully airbrushed our picture of that time, leaving an image wholly compatible with Reagan's own shiny, shallow rhetoric.
- Jock of the Seventies: US President Gerald Ford, 1912-2006
One Bad Subject's judgment of Ford's Presidency may be clouded by affection and sentimentality.
- Anti-Zionism is NOT Anti-Semitism: Reflections on Palestine and What I’ve Learned About Being an Editor, a Jew, and a Leftist.
If we are willing to think critically about our identity as Jews and our relationship to Zionism, then we have the opportunity to both distance ourselves from the illegal occupation of Palestinian lands and to define our Jewish identities in ways that don’t require the use of AK-47s.
- "Talking Heads": Deadly Ideas Depicted
National leaders observed as they sink deeper into the mire of their lies and war