84 CraftsUp one level
This issue of Bad Subjects provides insight into the political, social, and cultural aspects of craft and folk art.
- Introduction: The Production, Consumption, and Meaning of Arts and Crafts
Tamara Watkins, Mike Mosher
This issue discusses the production, consumption, and meaning of arts and crafts.
- "It's Not a Hobby, It's a Post-apocalyptic Skill": Space, Feminism, Queer, and Sticks and String
Although knitting has a tame reputation, it can be political. Yarnbombing gives political activists another medium through which to express themselves.
- They Privatized Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot
When the municipal government of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, opted to privatize and remodel four of its city parks, a community of artisans suffered.
- Towards an Understanding of Fine Craft in the Age of Computers
Craft begins to be a link between ages, customs, habits, and the people who invented them. Craft is loved, preserved, and learned.
- Soft Power
Soft Power is the artist's ongoing series that refers to nationalism, patriotism and current events through use of flags, stars, fabrics, food and mushroom clouds.
- Glass Painting: the Storytelling Griot of the Signares
Fashionably dressed to the nines in their striking gowns, headwear, and jewelry, it is no surprise that signares became a staple and iconic image in the medium of glass painting.
- A Gallery of Glass Paintings of Signares
- From the collection of Chrysanthe M.
- Mike Crafty, or Broken Toys Kelley
In Mike Kelley's career, one finds a lifelong, problematic relationship with craft, both as craftsmanship and the realm of Crafts.
- Jimm Juback's DANIEL BOONE: A Bow and Arrow Made of Shticks
In almost all our film efforts we tried to work with a narrative of some type. And we weren’t uncomfortable with the idea of an audience.
- And Called It Macaroni
A macaroni was a fop who was in the height of fashion during the 1770's. The macaroni has never really left us though.
- Against Craftsmanship
Chad M. White
Our talentless students have failed all their art classes. They have failed life and will never do it right.
- A Womb of His Own: How Political Craftivism Helps Male Legislators Realize Their Dreams of Having Female Reproductive Organs
For pro-choice craftivists, knitting is a form of political protest.
- DIY: Decolonizing Our Lives
Although its theoretical and philosophical roots are much older, DIY is an up-and-coming issue of the twenty-first century.