2009Up one level
Reviews published in 2009.
- Eartha Kitt 1927-2008: Catwoman Schooled the Lady Bird
CD cover: Comet Records 2005.
In 1968, entertainer Eartha Kitt spoke truth to power during a misbegotten war, and paid the price.
- Ron Asheton 1948-2009: Why Stooges Guitar Ruled
Graphics: Sony Music, Bad Subjects.
The Stooges' guitarist has fallen, so the resurrected Punk band is no more.
- Waltz With Bashir
- A review of the superb and distressing animated documentary, which, even though it is meticulously grounded in the excavation of a specific historical moment, is also universally relevant to the topics of war and trauma.
- The Revolution of Everyday Life: Sam Mendes' Dead End Revolutionary Road
Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCaprio: the great reunion. In Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road, a dramatic critique of alienation and cooptation of creative, free activity in liberal democratic consumer societies.
- Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road
- Michael Jackson and the 2oth Century Black Experience
- Michael Jackson was a complex figure who meant many things to many people, one story of the Black experience in the United States in the 20th century.
- J. G. Ballard 1930—2009
Mike Mosher, "mousehouse" graphic by the author
Ballard held a cold and shiny polished mirror to a high modernist, science-dominated world.
- Thief Sicario's "Amerika"
- The video and song, "Amerika," by Thief Sicario provides a useful starting point for rethinking U.S. history and contemporary identity.